Good Eats: Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding

August 18, 2015



It's blackberry season everyone. This is not a drill. 

I was at Costco yesterday when out of the corner of my eye I saw them: luscious, shiny, and ripened to perfection. After weeks of going to Costco and hunting for blackberries only to come away empty-handed and disappointed, I finally found them - nestled in their usual home in between the raspberries and strawberries. So naturally I went home with three huge cartons. Naturally.

There's so many ways you can eat blackberries; you can blend them up in a smoothie, garnish a salad with them, or just enjoy them on their own. My favorite method is freezing them in a bag and then sprinkling them onto a bowl of chia seed pudding.  The chia seed pudding on its own is already incredibly delicious and healthy - chia seeds are loaded with antioxidants, fiber, all that good-for-you stuff and keep you fuller and more energized throughout the day - but adding blackberries make it even better! I find that the frozen berries feel sort of like sweet hard candies...anyone else? Or maybe I'm just completely bonkers.

Here's my go-to recipe for chocolate chia seed pudding. It only has four ingredients and can be made ahead of time or whipped up quickly for those busy mornings. 

You will need:
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds 
- 1/2 cup of almond milk (or any other animal or plant based milk)
- 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
- a handful of frozen blackberries and raspberries (you can substitute this with any fruit you prefer)

I like my chia seed pudding to not be very sweet because the fruit is sweet enough already, but you can always add honey to yours.

In a small bowl, combine the chia seeds and almond milk and mix well. The chia seeds should start to expand as they soak up the milk and form a thick mixture. If you want the pudding to be more runny add more milk, or just add enough so that all the chia seeds are expanded. Next, add the cocoa powder and stir until everything is evenly incorporated. Sprinkle the frozen blackberries and raspberries on top and enjoy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments