10 Winter Wardrobe Essentials

December 24, 2015

It's officially winter, which means the days are getting shorter and it's getting colder. Although it's been unusually warm over here in New Jersey so far, (72 degrees...what??) there are still days when the weather remembers that it's December. 

I personally happen to adore cold weather; I love feeling the wind blowing against my face, I love finally being able to wear my winter coats and huge scarves. But, I know many of you (like my suitemates), despise and dread the frigid temperatures. So for those of you who fear being cold and for those of you, who like me, embrace winter, I've rounded up my top 10 wardrobe essentials for keeping warm and looking stylish!


Peacoat: Old Navy // Sweater: American Eagle Outfitters // Gloves: Aerie // Necklace: Plato's Closet
1: Peacoat - A well-tailored peacoat is a timeless wardrobe piece. Not only is it incredibly warm, but its structured, angular lapel makes any outfit look well put together. Although I tend to gravitate toward more neutral, classic colors like navy or camel, a bright cherry red or a print is a great way to inject your personality into your outfit.

2: Knit sweater - A warm, knit sweater is a must-have in your arsenal for battling the cold. Sweaters come in a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes; you can go with a thinner one to layer with or a cozy, oversized one to lounge around in.

3: Gloves - If you're anything like me, your hands always get super cold in the winter. Shoving your hands in your pockets works for a while, but you can't escape the icy winds forever; this is where gloves come in. Look for a pair of knit or wool gloves to keep your hands nice and warm. I love this winter white, fur trimmed pair because you can flip off the mitten part when you need to use your phone.

Coat: H&M // Scarf: H&M // Ankle boots: H&M
4: Wool coat - One of the great things about a winter wardrobe is the vast variety of coats to choose from. A straight-cut coat is always a fantastic choice; the streamlined silhouette is so flattering. 


5: Thick scarf - When the colder months roll in, I find that big blanket scarves are my saving grace. Not only are they incredibly warm and comfy, but they can add a pop of color to an outfit. This navy and red plaid scarf is perfect to throw on before I leave my dorm, and the fringe is a fun detail!

6: Ankle boots - Ankle boots are the perfect finishing touch to any outfit. Look for a pair in a dark color and with a block heel for ultimate style and comfort.


Dress: Loft // Cardigan: Forever 21 // Shoes: Plato's Closet
7: Thick cardigan - A nice, chunky cardigan is perfect for those winter days where it's not cold enough to wear an actual coat. To keep things more wintery, look for thick-knit cardigans in deep colors like maroon or navy.

8: Warm dress - Just because the weather's getting colder doesn't mean you have to eschew dresses; opt for dresses made from thicker, warmer material and pair them with warm tights and tall boots. I really love this particular dress for its burgundy and black embellishments and the zipper detail on the back. It's perfect for everyday wear but you can also wear it to a casual holiday gathering.


Leather jacket: Kohl's // Shirt: Zara // Shoes: H&M // Necklace:  Forever 21
9: Leather jacket - I used to shy away from black leather jackets, thinking that they were a little too tough-looking for me; but as I've gotten older, I've been wanting to add a little more edge to my wardrobe. A leather jacket, like many of the other items on this list, is not only a winter essential, but also a perennial closet staple. 


Dress: Forever 21 // Shoes: Poshmark
10: Holiday party dress There's something about the brightness and sparkle of Christmas and the glitz and glamour of New Year's Eve that really call for a glittery, ornate dress. I saw this dress in Forever 21 and fell in love; the gold lace embroidery adds such a beautiful and festive touch to a simple black shift dress. 

-----------------------------

So those are my must-have staples for surviving the winter! Let me know what your winter essentials are. I hope you all have a warm and wonderful holiday season!

You Might Also Like

0 comments