Good Eats: Tomato and Egg Stir-fry

December 17, 2015



Comfort food; whether it's something sweet like chunks of dark chocolate or something savory like a piping hot bowl of mac and cheese, everybody has at least one go-to dish that is guaranteed to boost their mood. 

For me, one of my comfort foods is tomato and egg stir-fry. It was a staple in my childhood; even just hearing the name transports me back to my younger years when I sat at the kitchen table and cracked the eggs one by one into a bowl taking great care to not get even the tiniest bit of egg shell in as I watched my mom take simple ingredients and transform them into something so delicious. Even now, when I'm in college, if I hear that Mom made tomato and eggs, I'm already on my way back for dinner. 

Sometimes I'll be craving this dish but my mom will either be too busy to make it or might have something else planned for dinner so I've had to grudgingly be an adult and learn to make it myself. Every Taiwanese/Chinese family has their own version of tomato and egg stir-fry, but here's ours!

----------------------------

You will need:
- 2-3 large tomatoes
- 5-7 eggs (depending on how you want your tomato to egg ratio)
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 tsp of sugar
- olive oil 
- sprinkle of mushroom seasoning (Can be found at any Asian supermarket)
- salt and pepper to taste

Roughly chop your tomatoes; they'll shrink down as they cook so you want them to be big chunks. Next, heat up some olive oil in a wok or large skillet and toss in the tomatoes. Let them stew for a bit and then add in the sugar, mushroom seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir to incorporate the ingredients and let it keep simmering on the stove until the tomatoes get soft and soupy-looking. 

While the tomatoes are cooking, crack and beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Season the egg mixture with some salt and pepper. When the tomatoes are squishy and all the juices have run out (probably 5-10 minutes), take them out of the wok and into a bowl. Then pour the beaten eggs in and let it cook for a little. 

When it's become some what solidified, start scrambling the eggs - be gentle when doing this because you want to end up with large pieces of egg. Pour the tomatoes back in the wok and gently fold everything until its all incorporated. Let it cook a little longer to let the eggs soak in the tomato juice and then sprinkle in the chopped green onion. Taste and add more salt if necessary. When the eggs are fully cooked, plate and add some more green onion on the top for color. Enjoy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments